Goal setting is a very effective way to make lasting change in your life and the following guidelines should help you. We all have plenty of experience with unrealized ambition however once you’ve spent the time and effort to identify what you want, the following will help fine-tune that for maximum effectiveness. I would only add that holding yourself accountable with either a coach ~wink 😉 or a trusted partner in your endeavor increases the likelihood of success.
- Specific – Be as specific as possible with goals. Leave no room for indecision, confusion, waffling, wiggling, or waning. Determine what you will do, how long you will do it, and when you will do it.
- Measurable – Determine how you will measure success for yourself. If you can measure a goal, then you can objectively determine how successful you are at meeting the goal.
- Attainable – Make your goals challenging but feasible. An attainable goal is one that you have enough time and resources to achieve.
- Realistic – Set yourself up for success by being realistic in your goal setting. Setting an unrealistic goal may result in disappointment or the temptation to give up altogether.
- Timely/Trackable – Determine milestones for yourself and a time frame to achieving your goals. Keeping track can help you evaluate your progress and stay motivated.